Scientists stumble upon 'Jurassic Park' moment captured in amber
Spider attacking a wasp preserved over the centuries
Scientists have discovered a "Jurassic park" moment trapped in amber, coming over the centuries to spin its own prehistoric tale. A rare dinosaur-age scene of a spider attacking a wasp caught in its web has been preserved for modern man to study and enjoy.
The particle of amber contains 15 intact strands of spider silk. The find is providing the first fossil evidence of such an attack, researchers said.
"This juvenile spider was going to make a meal out of a tiny parasitic wasp, but never quite got to it," George Poinar, Jr., a zoology professor at Oregon State University says.
"This was a male wasp that suddenly found itself trapped in a spider web. This was the wasp's worst nightmare, and it never ended. The wasp was watching the spider just as it was about to be attacked, when tree resin flowed over and captured both of them."
Poinar, along with Kentucky amber collector Ron Buckley described the find in a paper published in the October issue of the journal Historical Biology. They wrote that while there are examples of amber-trapped insects caught in webs, "there is no previous fossil record of a spider attacking its ensnared prey."
The chunk also contains the body of another male spider in the same web. According to the authors, this may make the fossil the oldest known evidence of social behavior in spiders.
Both the spider and wasp species are extinct. The type of wasp (Cascoscelio incassus) belongs to a group that today is known to parasitize spider eggs, Poinor said. The attack on the wasp by the bristly orb-weaver spider, Geratonephila burmanica, might then be considered - "revenge."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Amber, spider, wasp, attack, prehistory, Jurassic Park
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Green News
- MYSTERY SOLVED? NASA geologist may have found out secret behind 'sailing stones'
- United Nations says world population nearing 7.2 billion
- Was world-famous iceman mummy the victim of foul play?
- Secret wildfires - 'understory fires' taking momentous toll on Amazon rain forest
- Shutting down: Two reactors inside San Onofre Nuclear Plant to be retired
- A Catholic Way of Being Green: Pope Francis Calls Us to Care for Each Other and Creation in a Culture of Solidarity
- Ocean of tires in Kuwait can be seen from outer space
- BACK FROM EXTINCTION: Extinct for 60 years, Hula Painted Frog rediscovered
- The six-foot reptile weighed more than 60 pounds 'Lizard King' named after rock star Jim Morrison
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?