No communion for Joe Biden
Voters have a responsibility at the polls.
Bishop Michael Sheridan of Colorado Springs says that Joe Biden ought to know not to take communion at Mass. Sheridan was asked by the Colorado Springs Gazette if he would refuse the Vice President communion if he attended Mass with the Bishop.
No communion for Joe Biden who supports abhorrent positions on the four non-negotiables of faith.
Vice President Biden is a professed Catholic, but he has spoken openly of his support for anti-life measures including abortion. Together with President Obama and Kathleen Sibelius, Biden has stumped for the passage of Obamacare's Health and Human Services which provides free contraceptives and abortifacients on demand.
The edict would also compel the Church, as well as other faith-based institutions and Christian individuals to violate their conscience and participate in sin by financing these abhorrent practices under threat of law.
Kathleen Sibelius, who issued the edict at Obama's behest, is also Catholic.
In 2004, Bishop Sheridan explained that there were four non-negotiable for Catholic politicians: abortion, embryonic stem-cell research, euthanasia, and same-sex marriage. Biden has put himself on record as supporting the wrong side on each of these issues.
The Bishop explained in his interview, "It's clear to me that the Code of Canon Law, Canon 915, says that a Catholic politician who publicly espouses positions that are contrary, not just to any teachings of the Church, but to serious moral teachings, should not receive Holy Communion until they recant those positions publicly."
When pressed about the onus upon voters, he explained, "Voters needs a little bit more nuance, because there the question is, are we voting for those politicians precisely because of their positions on those non-negotiable issues? Here is what I would say: It would be very difficult for me to understand how, if there are two candidates quite far apart in their positions on these matters, I could vote for the one who consistently opposes these Church teachings, simply because he might be in favor of a few good things."
Ultimately, voters have a conscience, which should be informed by their faith, and this should be consulted prior to voting. There is no clear position within Church teaching that says someone should be considered in mortal peril because of how they vote, however, voting is a grave responsibility and casting a lot with Judas says much about individual character.
While such voters may conceal their secret support for offenders of the faith, such as Joe Biden, behind a curtain at the poll, God is witness to everything.
The message should be clear. People who support politicos that favor abhorrent positions also lend their voice to the practice of evil. Common sense suggests that doing so is a sinful act worthy of confession and serious repentance.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Biden, Catholic, communion, polls, voting, conscience, Bishop Michael Sheridan
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What Did Pope Francis REALLY Say About Atheists?
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- According to map, China leads world in atheism
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?