Chicago atheist loses fight against cross
Supreme Court unlikely to bother with case.
An atheist from Chicago is losing a fight to keep the Bald Knob Cross from being renovated with public funds. Robert Sherman, a self-proclaimed atheist, says he does not think the US Supreme Court will agree to hear his case.
Bald Knob Cross will continue to stand for the faithful public.
The cross also generates tourism revenues for the surrounding merchants.
Sherman brought his claim against the state when it pledged a $20,000 grant to the preservation of the cross. However, several courts have denied his claim saying that he lacks standing to bring the case.
Friends of the Bald Knob Cross Foundation says it's not upset over the suit. They just plan to continue business as usual.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Atheist, Bald Knob Cross
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Lowest of the low: Man steals 92-year-old man's glasses and Bible in Manhattan
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?