Anti-Life terrorist sentenced, forgiven
Man threatened to kill Fr. Pavone and others.
A self-described "pro-choice terrorist" has been sentenced to almost 4 years in prison for plotting to kill pro-life advocates Fr. Frank Pavone and Princeton University's Robert George. Theodore Shulman threatened to attack and harm the men on his blog in January 2010.
Fr. Frank Pavone was a target of an anti-life terrorist, but has forgiven him.
He also made a number of statements of his intent, including a claim that if Scott Roeder, a man who killed the abortion doctor George Tiller, were to be acquitted, then Pavone and George would be killed.
Shulman ran a very militant blog site where he routinely advocated the use of violence to suppress and intimidate prominent members of the right-to-life community.
Fr. Pavone told LifeSiteNews in an interview that he has forgiven Shulman and that he prays for the man every day. He added, "I also renew, with my friend Bill Baird, known as the Father of the Pro-Choice movement, the joint statement we made years ago rejecting hatred and violence in word and deed between those on opposite sides of the abortion issue."
It must be understood that the threat of violence, and violent acts, including murder, are deeply and morally wrong. This is what makes abortion so abhorrent. However, vigilante murder, even in the name of life, is also morally wrong.
The path forward should not be fraught with threats and intimidation, but rather it should be straightened by education, understanding, and love.
Ft. Pavone has set the standard, by publicly forgiving and praying for his tormentor. We should all follow this call and forgive and pray for Shulman, in the hopes that he too can come to a knowledge of the truth concerning the dignity of every human life and the call to compassion while abandoning the way of evil and death.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Right to life, abortion, Pavone, Theodore Shulman
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?