Jeremiah Wright - Obama offered 150k to keep quiet
Obama attempted to silence Wright.
In a bombshell revelation, Rev. Jeremiah Wright said Barack Obama asked him not to preach until after the 2008 election. According to a report the in New York Post and a follow up on The Blaze, Obama's staff offered money to the preacher if he would stop speaking until November.
According to the New York Post, Obama told Wright that his preaching could hurt the presidential campaign. Obama's staff contacted Wright offering him $150,000 for his silence.
An interview taken from an unauthorized Obama biography, "The Amateur" by Edward Klein, describes Wright explaining Obama's attempt to bribe him.
"Who sent the e-mail?" I asked Wright.
"It was from one of Barack's closest friends."
"He offered you money?"
"Not directly," Wright said. "He sent the offer to one of the members of the church, who sent it to me."
"How much money did he offer you?"
"One hundred and fifty thousand dollars," Wright said.
According to Wright, Obama later visited him at his church, and asked him directly to stop speaking until after the election. Obama said, "I really wish you wouldn't do any more public speaking until after the November election. I wish you wouldn't speak. It's gonna hurt the campaign if you do that."
To which Wright replied, "I said, 'I don't see it that way. And anyway, how am I supposed to support my family?"
"Well, I wish you wouldn't speak in public. The press is gonna eat you alive."
Despite the request, Wright wasn't silenced.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?