U.S. Commerce Secretary reportedly suffered seizure in two separate car crashes
John Bryson released to return to Washington after medical observation
U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson was involved in two separate bizarre
car crashes after he reportedly suffered a seizure this past weekend.
The 68-year-old Bryson is accused of striking a stopped car twice and
then causing a separate collision. Officials say he was placed under
medical observation and then released to return to Washington.
Director of Public Affairs for the Department of Commerce Jennifer Friedman had confirmed that U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson was involved in a traffic accident and said he had 'suffered a seizure.'
Director of Public Affairs for the Department of Commerce Jennifer Friedman had confirmed that Bryson was involved in a traffic accident and said he had "suffered a seizure." Bryson was on his personal time with no security detail and was driving his own vehicle.
There was no immediate indication that alcohol or drugs played a role in the collisions, according to local law enforcement.
Bryson was driving alone in a Lexus in San Gabriel when he allegedly struck the rear end of a stopped car waiting for a passing train occupied by three men in the first incident.
Bryson spoke with the occupants and then hit their car again when he drove away, police said said. The three men followed him while calling police.
"The preliminary investigation indicates the collision was caused by suspect John Bryson, who is the United States Secretary of Commerce," the police statement said.
Bryson then allegedly caused a second collision moment later in the nearby city of Rosemead, striking a car occupied by a man and a woman.
Two people in the first collision were treated by paramedics after complaining of pain and the couple involved in the second crash also complained of pain but declined medical aid. Damage to the vehicles was minor.
Bryson voluntarily took a Breathalyzer test after the crashes, and it didn't detect any alcohol, said Los Angeles County sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker. A blood test also was administered to Bryson and investigators are awaiting the results.
Authorities don't know whether Bryson had a prior medical condition.
White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew spoke to Bryson on Monday, press secretary Jay Carney said. Carney said the administration was still in the process of gathering information.
"We're obviously concerned about the incident, about the health-related issues that played a role in this incident," Carney said.
Bryson had given the commencement address last Thursday at Pasadena Polytechnic School, where several of his daughters went to school, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reported.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: john Bryson, car crashes, seizures, commencement
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Hillary better be prepared, House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Darrell Issa says
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?