Hillary Clinton commits political 'seppuku'
Secretary of State takes one for the team.
Hillary Clinton is taking a bullet for team Obama, by saying she accepts full responsibility for the deaths of Americans in Libya last September. The attacks have been controversial because the Obama administration refused to increase security and later denied their terrorist origins.
Hillary Clinton has taken responsibility for the poor security that led to the deaths of Americans in Libya.
The remarks follow a week of battering by Republican legislators who say Obama acted irresponsibly by refusing to improve security around the Benghazi embassy and a nearby CIA installation, despite pleas to do so.
The September 11 attacks on Benghazi were carried out methodically by an Al Qaeda-sponsored militia with at least one Al Qaeda officer observed at the scene. The attacks used heavy weapons and explosives and were coordinated against the embassy and a secret CIA intelligence gathering installation.
The Obama administration tried for several weeks to insist the attacks were the result of spontaneous protests against a viral video that had been posted on YouTube for months. That video depicted the Islamic Prophet Mohammed as a fundamentally evil character.
The incident, and Obama's poor response to it has substantially blunted his foreign policy credentials.
Obama has already taken a beating on his domestic policies and by losing his foreign policy credentials, it appears that he may lose the election.
In response, Obama is looking toward increasingly desperate measures to regain the lead. Among those measures are plans for an aggressive debate stance, the political sacrifice of Hillary Clinton, and a possible military strike on targets in Libya and Mali.
In fact, multiple sources within the government and media have confirmed that US drones are already operating over Libya, waiting for targets and orders to strike. Unnamed military sources have said that northern Mali is also a target, which the administration says has become a new haven for Al Qaeda after a recent coup in that country's capital.
Ultimately, this should spell the end of Clinton's career. Her degree of responsibility, while great, may not be ultimate, however. That responsibility lies with Obama. Unfortunately, he is unlikely to accept it since it would be politically inconvenient to do so just days away from the election.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State, Libya, Obama, attacks, seppuku
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- The Culture of Life: Senator Rand Paul gets it right
- Obamacare to cost everybody more than they are paying now
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?